The mission of the Union Public Library shall be:
1. To assemble, preserve and administer, in organized collections, books and other educational and recreational material in order to promote enlightened citizenship and enrich personal lives.
2. To serve the community as a center of reliable information, to make every effort to meet the requirements of individualized reference service to patrons, either from the Library's own collection, through interlibrary loan, or consultation with regional or state library staff.
3. To provide a place where inquiring minds may encounter not only popular, conventional ideas, but also the unorthodox and critical ideas so necessary as stiumlants in a society that depends for its survival on free competition in ideas.
4. To provide opportunity and encouragement for children, young people, men and women to educate themselves continually.
5. To seek continually to identify the desires and needs of the community, to provide library materials and programs of service to meet such desires and needs, to consider patrons' requests when adding to the library's collection.
Points 6,7,8 of the Mission Statement may be viewed within the Library Policies.