The town of Union is a small rural village on the bluffs of the Iowa River. What is now Union Township was a high grass prairie when the first settlers came in 1850. The early settlers were mostly Quakers from North Carolina. Ethnic groups were primarily English and Irish with a few Germans. They were religious people with strong family values and work ethics. Almost all were farmers or had farm related interests.
Union is proud to have a city library which was established in 1968. The first books were circulated from a room provided by the South Hardin Recreation Area. Funds from a grant, memorials and private donations were used to construct the current facility in 1971. Many volunteers helped to build the current facility. 2012 brought some needed remodeling of the interior of the building. The walls were painted, new carpeting installed as well as other cosmetic changes. These changes have enhanced the library greatly.
The library has always kept pace with the new formats and programming. Today the library offers books on CD's and e-books, DVD's, and of course books and periodicals. The library has public access computer stations and has a wireless access point for patrons and the public with laptops. A book club meets monthly and after school programs are held.